This is the real life story of a 25 year old fighting the fight of her life with breast cancer and then at 29 finding a recurrence and having to make life changing decisions. This is my story.

You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination. Ralph Marston

I've been known as a strong willed, independent, and stubborn girl and woman. Maybe it all was planned to be that way so that I could succeed in this fight. I learn more about myself each day and what I can handle and what's really important in this world.


Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ding! Round 1: Deidre 2 Cancer 0

Please pardon any typos since I am typing this on my ittsy bittsy iPod.

Had my surgery yesterday morning. We were able to sleep in and get ready in a relax manner rather than like zombies. We arrived at the hospital right at the appointment when I realized I left the order paperwork at home. Now I focused on those darn papers all week and forgot them the day of. Luckily they had the orders and didn't need the paperwork. They immediately took me back. I turned and gave my mom a big hug and told her I'd see her soon. I gave her hard time in a joking way to make her laugh earlier during admissions. I hadn't eaten anything since midnight and it was 11am. She had bought me some Reese's to eat when I was out of surgery. She whips those puppies out waves them in my face as she gives them to Chris "thanks mom, wave the precious in front of the starving girl" she laughed hysterically. Then on the elevator she said "I thought about stopping by your house to be sure you had breakfast" and jokingly glared over at her and said "really?" she laughed again. I like to see my mom laugh especially when it deals with difficult things. I know she is sad having to watch me go through all this again so I work to keep her laughing.

After giving her the big hug went back to the outpatient room and Chris and I joked and laughed. After the nurse came in my friend Mary Black came in and said hello. She took time to come and see me while she was working at the hospital. It was so good to see her. She had a conversation with my surgeon beforehand Nd told him to be steady handed today and that he was saving the beat for last - that would be me if you were wondering! :) Listened to some Rolling Stones while they prepped me in the holding tank. It is funny because nurses walk by and remember me from all my surgeries in 2008 and 2009. When I was on recovery and as soon as I opened my eyes still drugged up the first thing I did was reach up slowly and felt 1 boob and the 2 boob.... Woohoo! I said something about it to the nurse and she chuckled. I continued doing that to make sure I wasn't dreaming it the time before. They rolled me back to the outpatient room and I told my husband "I still have 2 boobs!" he just laughed. That was my biggest fear and he knew that I was ok as long I had 2 boobs. The things that make you happy and laugh. I was thinking about how my bathing suits would look if I didn't have boob. Gotta look good in that thang! And I disgress. The rest of the evening I took it easy. Laid on the sofa with my pillow and blanket. Our friend Amanda made a delicious dinner and brought it over. It was quite tastey! I slept in the recliner to be sure that I didn't roll on my incision. Woke up this morning and my incision was hurting so bad. Despite the pain I am glad it is out. It had started to hurt day to day which worried me that it was growing.

Chris was able to see the ultrasound pictures of my tumor and the before and after pics. He was shocked at how close it was to my implant. I love my surgeon he is amazing. He not only takes care of me physically but he treats us (Chris and myself) as humans and adults. He doesn't talk down to me or treat me like a child. We joke and laugh together and he takes the time that is needed to make sure I fully understand everything. I trust him completely. God has placed amazing medical resources at my finger tips and amazing loving friends and family. love you guys!

About forgot... They are running several tests and those results will return within the next 1-2 weeks. So we will get the details throughout that time. The results determine the treatment plan to come. This is the beginning but let's rock cancer's world again and show him the strength of the human will to survive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment