This is the real life story of a 25 year old fighting the fight of her life with breast cancer and then at 29 finding a recurrence and having to make life changing decisions. This is my story.

You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination. Ralph Marston

I've been known as a strong willed, independent, and stubborn girl and woman. Maybe it all was planned to be that way so that I could succeed in this fight. I learn more about myself each day and what I can handle and what's really important in this world.


Sunday, April 22, 2012

Back to the beginning.....

April 2012 I was home and felt a knot in the same spot as my cancer.  This knot was a familiar feeling - hard, round, and tender.  I immediately the next day began calling my oncologist and surgeon.  They were both out of town but my surgeon squeezed me in first thing the following Monday.  I spent 3 hours with him and my plastic surgeon making sure it wasn't implant related.  The knot was 5 mm and sitting right on top of my implant.  Being ever so gentle, Dr. Dagher numbed the area up and went in for a fine needle aspiration.  I felt him hit the knot - I could tell he was concerned about me feeling it and trying to figure out what to do, I told him "just do what you gotta do now." I laid there trying to not move and fight through the pain.  Knowing the routine, I knew I'd hear something by Thursday.

On Wednesday, he called my at 4:30 asking where I was and concerned that I was at work he gave me his personal cell phone number and told me to call him when I got home.  I knew at this point, it wasn't just a scar or crazy capitulation of the implant.  He apologized to me for having to give me this news.  I handled a lot better than the last time.  He scheduled an appointment for me to visit with a radiation oncologist and again all the scans and tests.

After talking to Dr. Mack, the realization that I was getting ready to be put through radiation for sure, chemo and hormonal therapy potential began setting in.  I had a chest wall recurrence which apparently is most common when there is a distance cancer somewhere... meaning organs or other areas were effected.  That put things in check.  During the tests the next day, all I could think about was where it was and we were getting through this thing one way or the other.  At 6pm on Friday evening, Dr. Dagher called and let me know that all the tests were clear and normal so surgery was scheduled for May 2.  Now just to see some friends and prepare myself for the next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment