This is the real life story of a 25 year old fighting the fight of her life with breast cancer and then at 29 finding a recurrence and having to make life changing decisions. This is my story.

You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination. Ralph Marston

I've been known as a strong willed, independent, and stubborn girl and woman. Maybe it all was planned to be that way so that I could succeed in this fight. I learn more about myself each day and what I can handle and what's really important in this world.


Monday, August 13, 2012

Phase 2 complete

I spent the weekend taking pain meds and laying around.  I hurt so bad.  My skin under my arm is the most severely burned currently.  The area directly under my breast is looking better - doesn't say much because it was so badly burned however, it looks like it is trying to heal.

Phase 2 is complete; radiation of the entire breast. Now, I am in the boost phase. The last phase before the end.  Harry, the mad scientist behind the curtain who I like to talk to because he cracks me up and is so nice, told me today that my scar will probably flare up with this but the other areas will begin healing.  He said "as soon we stop messing with you, your skin will begin healing within 10-14 days I would be surprised at how it looks."  I look forward to it!


Here is a picture of my underarm yesterday.  The blue and red marks are where they are doing the boost.  As you can tell a piece of the burned area is within that field of treatment. I am not looking forward to how that part is going to feel within the next week.  This picture does not show the nasty peeling skin or express the pain I have with it but at least an idea of the severity of my burn and discomfort now. 

Normally, a 40lb bag of dog food does not cause me issues, but I picked up a bag today at the grocery store and thought my skin my implant was going to explode out of my skin. So, I asked the nice gentlemen at the grocery store to pick it up for me and then let Chris bring it into the house. 

Today was the first day I haven't taken pain meds to get through so maybe it is healing now.  I am going to take one now, since I tried the dog food trick. Obviously, not ready for 100% back to normal duties yet. 

I finish up on Monday, Aug 20. 5 more to go!


1 comment:

  1. I am so so sorry you are walking through such a difficult season. My heart and my prayers are with you my friend

    ReplyDelete