This is the real life story of a 25 year old fighting the fight of her life with breast cancer and then at 29 finding a recurrence and having to make life changing decisions. This is my story.

You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination. Ralph Marston

I've been known as a strong willed, independent, and stubborn girl and woman. Maybe it all was planned to be that way so that I could succeed in this fight. I learn more about myself each day and what I can handle and what's really important in this world.


Thursday, August 9, 2012

Adjustments and the beginning of the end...

The skin that is currently blistered and exposed, is healing well per my doctor.  She is very impressed with the healing and happy with the way they are looking. They are still painful and I ended up seperating some of the tender skin this morning while trying to remove some tape on the healthy skin. Unfortunately, it is right under my arm and hurts so bad right now.  The pain meds barely take the pain away on that spot but that was my fault.  Grrr....

A quick update of what's happening...

The blisters came up and escalated farely quickly so she removed 3 sections from the radiation field; under my breast, small area under arm (inside my arm pit), and the tip top corner on my chest.  This was to perserve the skin that was so badly damaged.  As of yesterday, they stopped treating the top part of my chest.  This is normal and only set to receive the small dose of radiation.  I have 3 treatments left for my entire breast and then 5 more after that of a "boost" to the recurrance site.  The recurrance site is under my arm pit... which is currently one of the badly burned areas so that might get a little interesting.  I'll end up taking my last day of radiation on 8/20. A day of celebration I will say!!

Discussed the hormone therapy with my medical oncologist which is a different doctor than my radiation oncologist.  I will start that and see how it works beginning in Sept.  I told him I wanted to wait til after radiation and give my body some time to recover from the radiation before changing my hormone levels.  We will start with the easiest form which gave me migraines the last time I tried it however, I'd rather try that first than go to shutting things down completely and it "should" kick back up after you end the Rx in a few years. Yeah, from the people I've talked to, the "should" didn't happen. So, needless to say, I don't believe the doctor on this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment