This is the real life story of a 25 year old fighting the fight of her life with breast cancer and then at 29 finding a recurrence and having to make life changing decisions. This is my story.

You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination. Ralph Marston

I've been known as a strong willed, independent, and stubborn girl and woman. Maybe it all was planned to be that way so that I could succeed in this fight. I learn more about myself each day and what I can handle and what's really important in this world.


Monday, June 25, 2012

Beach and Radiation Mark Ups

It has been a while since I updated anything on the blog. I've been on vacation in the Florida Keys for the last week.  Enjoying the last week before my radiation commences.  It was a good trip, overcast so no burning but a nice golden glow now.  We went kayaking one day, Key West twice, and went snorkeling.  It went by way too quickly. 




Today, I went for my scans and got all marked up with blue and red paint pens.  I now how blue marks that will be visible on my chest and already had 3 people ask what kinda tattoo I had.  I know it is weird but they don't like any type of tattoo... and when it is evident I am trying to avoid the conversation with a complete stranger while he stares at my chest like a perv (like the markings are some type of excuse for him to stare at my boobs), please stop asking me questions.  Yes I know people look, I would - they are perky and big - however, there is a difference in being a perv and just checking out. Check out - don't stare.  If you are going to stare, just take a picture for later please.  lol

So, they are going to chat about how they (the doctors) will go about providing the radiation without effecting my lungs and my other breast.  They are going to load lead blocks into the radiation machine so they can TRY to avoid shooting my other breast.  I am thankful they are looking for alternatives so they are reduce the amount of damage done.  It will be 6 weeks - 30 treatments total.  They will treat some of the lymphnodes in my neck also.


If you see me walking around with lines on my chest, please don't think I went crazy with the markers, I am working to get the marker off my sternum so at least that part isn't showing. There is a part of the blue on my chest I am not allowed to wash off and a clear sticker that is already wrinkling my skin.  This is gonna be a fun 6 weeks.

I heard and saw a male standing behind the curtain while I was on the X-ray table which memocks the radiation machine so they can line things up first.  I wasn't allowed to move - breast exposed, I believe my Radiation Tech saw me squirming to see who was there and if he was official or not, and she said you may hear a male voice out there, he's here to help.  She proceeded to tell me who he was and what he will do during my treatments. He was a very nice and hilariously funny man.  I looked at her and said "I was starting to wonder, I know I am used to showing them to everyone in [town] however, I thought you would share some of the price of admission tickets with me at least." She cracked up laughing. 



The nurses can make or break your treatment path... and I've been lucky so far!

1 comment:

  1. Or your co-worker will think that you got a tattoo on your breast lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete